01327 857213 info@wheelstowork.net

What licence do you need to ride a 50cc or 125cc scooter?

Dec 22, 2023

Headlights and mirrors of several Wheels to Work scooters. What's included.

We are often asked what licence is required to hire a 50cc or a 125cc scooter with us. It can be confusing to work out what you are legally covered for on a full driving licence.  In this article, we will answer the most common licence-related questions we get asked.

Do I need a CBT to ride a 50cc?

Whilst legally anyone who is issued with a full driving licence before 2001 can ride a 50cc without a CBT, we do always recommend that you take it. It is a good refresher for anyone who has ridden in the past and a good learning experience for anyone who has never ridden before.

We have a duty of care to our customers and want you to feel safe whilst riding out on the open road.

However, most of our customers either have a provisional licence or a full licence issued after 2001. Legally to be able to ride a 50cc, you must hold a valid CBT certificate.

Black Piaggio Zip 50

Can I ride a 125cc motorcycle or scooter on a full car licence?

In order to ride a 125cc motorcycle or automatic scooter you must have a valid CBT. If you have a full motorcycle licence this does not apply.

Please note that CBT certificates are only valid for 2 years. You will either choose to work towards gaining your full motorcycle licence or renew your CBT.

Black Piaggio Liberty 125

Can I hire a Wheels to Work scooter on a non-GB licence?

Our Wheels to Work insurance provider is very specific about this. You will need to have either a UK Provisional licence or a Full UK licence. A valid CBT certificate is also required to be able to hire through the Wheels to Work service.

We do understand the confusion around this as many non-GB licences can be used to drive a car within the UK for up to 12 months. However, we can only follow the legal requirements laid out by our insurance provider and this is what they stipulate.

Please note that if you hold a Full UK Motorcycle Licence, you do not also need a CBT certificate.

I’ve recently moved house and my driving licence is registered at my old address, is it still valid?

We often have this situation, where the person looking to hire has recently moved and their licence has not been updated. The answer is simple, it is a legal requirement to register your driving licence to your current address. If you fail to do this you can be fined up to £1,000 by the DVLA f you fail to do this.

We are happy to accept your application form with the correct address and we can still provide you with a quote. However, you will need to either be in the process of updating your licence or looking to update it. We cannot deliver the scooter to you until you have updated your driving licence. The timescale from the DVLA can vary depending on the time of year. Sometimes it can take up to 3 weeks to update but most of the time it is a speedy process.

We have found these are the most common questions asked when enquiring about the Wheels to Work service.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, we are more than happy to help.

Wheels to Work

For further details, please call 01327 857213 or email info@wheelstowork.net.

Wheels to Work provide 50cc and 125cc scooters in Northants, Bucks, Beds, Berks, Warks, Leics, Shrops, Notts, North Lincs and Oxon to support our customers get to and from their place of work.