01327 857213 info@wheelstowork.net

frequently asked questions

We’ve answered some of our most frequently asked questions below, or you can call or email us on our contact page.

How old do I have to be?

You need to be over 16 years old and eligible to hold a EU/UK licence.  If you’re under 18 you will also need consent from your parent or guardian.

What is a CBT?

CBT stands for Compulsory Basic Training and is a course you have to take before you can ride on the road. After you’ve completed a CBT:

  • if you’re 16 or over you can ride a 50cc scooter
  • if you’re 17 you can ride a scooter or a motorcycle up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kw

You must use L plates at all times.

We can recommend local CBT centres and the cost of your CBT can be covered depending on your access to funding.

How long can I have a scooter for?

The scooter scheme runs for a minimum of four months. Shorter periods of hire may be available subject to insurance restrictions through our partners at Spyder Motorcycles.

What happens when the scooter needs servicing?

Scooters need to be regularly serviced, at least once every four months or at scheduled service intervals.  You will need to let us know when the scooter is nearing its mileage limit and we will come and pick it up and provide a replacement.

What happens if my bike breaks down?

When you get your bike we’ll give you a telephone number to call for a 24 hour recovery service if your scooter or motorcycle breaks down.

If you have a puncture you will need to pay for this yourself.

What else do I need to know about?

Besides the hire fee, you’ll also need to make sure you top up the oil on the bike and keep the chain lubed, we’ll show you how to do this once you get your bike.  If you don’t carry out these basic checks or misuse the bike then you could be liable for the full value of the bike.

Other costs that you’ll need to pay for:

  • repair work if you damage the bike or helmet/protective clothing
  • if you get a PCN (Penalty Charge Notice) or any tickets during your hire
  • if you lose the lock we provide you with
  • replacement of the key if you lose it
  • replacement tyre if you get a puncture

Do I have to have a driving licence?

You need to be eligible to hold a EU/UK licence.  If you don’t already have a driving licence you will need to apply for your provisional licence so you can take your CBT.

What's included in the hire fee?

Under the Wheels to Work scheme, your hire fee can include insurance, breakdown cover, maintenance, MOT, tax, protective clothing, delivery and pick up of your vehicle at the start of your hire and for scheduled servicing.

There are some methods of funding your CBT but usually this is something you will need to pay for yourself.

What happens if I damage the scooter?

Insurance cover included with scooter hire is third party.  All riders will sign our terms and conditions to agree to pay an excess of up to £500 in the event a bike is stolen, written off or damaged in anyway and there is no third party to claim against, so it’s very important that you secure the bike and look after it as best you can.  If you cause damage that costs £20 to repair, that is what you will need to pay.  Where an excess is due we will try to implement a payment plan you can afford.

How long does it take to get a bike?

The length of time it takes to get a bike largely depends on if you already have taken your CBT or not.  If you have and you meet all the affordability criteria and you are quick getting your paperwork to us then we could get you on a bike in less than a week.  If you need to take a CBT, then we would aim to get you on a bike between seven to ten days.

Is there anything I'm not allowed to do with the bike?

You are not allowed to modify or fit your own accessories to the scooter.  You are also not allowed to use the scooter for profit or reward, and the bikes cannot be used for any courier or delivery work.  The scooter is only insured for on road use, you cannot use it off road or on track.

You can use the bike not just to get to work though but also to see friends and family and for other leisure riding.