01327 857213 info@wheelstowork.net

Do I Need a CBT to Ride a Scooter?

Apr 23, 2021

Do I Need a CBT to Ride a Scooter?

Do I Need a CBT to Ride a Scooter? We often get asked if you need a CBT to to be able to hire a scooter – and the short answer is ‘yes’.

A CBT or Compulsory Basic Training is a course you usually have to take before you ride a moped or motorcycle on the road.

The training makes sure you ride safely on your own when you hire a scooter or while you practise either for your full moped or motorcycle test.

Is a CBT a Test?

CBT is not a test that you pass or fail and after you’ve completed CBT, you can ride a:

  • moped if you’re 16 or over
  • motorcycle up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kW if you’re 17 or over

You must use L plates which are provided by Wheels to Work Silverstone.

Your CBT certificate lasts two years, at which point you either need to take your CBT again (and send us another copy) or you must pass your full moped or motorcycle test.

You can be fined up to £1,000 and get up to 6 penalty points for riding without a valid CBT certificate so make sure yours is always up to date.

Do I Always Need a CBT to Ride a Scooter?

There are a few occasions when you do not have to take a CBT, these include if you:

  • want to ride a moped (up to 50cc) and you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001
  • want to ride a motorcycle and have a full moped licence from passing a moped test since 1 December 1990
  • have a full motorcycle licence for one category and want to upgrade to another

To find out if you need a CBT and what licence you need, the Motorcycle Industry Association (MCIA) has a great site that lets you put in your details to see if you need a CBT and can even recommend some MCIA approved training centres near to you.

Please give us a call 01327 857213 if you have any questions about getting your CBT or apply now to hire a scooter through Wheels to Work Silverstone and unlock your freedom!